Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Easy Mix Baking Mix for Sweet or Savory THM S Breads ~ Gluten Free, Almond Free with Grain Free & Sweetener Free Options


Over many years I have morphed myself into more of a food purist from a Drive Thru Sue. That DTS in me wants pure foods in a quick and easy manner. Hence sometimes I refer to myself as a Drive Thru Purist.

The Easy Mix is a perfect DTPurist option. 


I wanted five things from my Baking Mix. 
1. I wanted a single mix that could be used with sweet or savory breads. 
2. I wanted a mix that made a lighter MIM, BIM, Waffle, Flat Bread, etc.
3. I wanted more protein in my finished product. 
4. I wanted it as allergen safe as I could get it. 
5. I wanted an FP mix that could work in any setting.


Through lots of trial and error I have been able to do 1 through 3. On number 4 I am part way there. I'm working on an egg free version. I'm also working on a coconut free version. As far as goal number 5 I hope to have an Easy Mix FP Version out soon.


Easy Mix Baking Mix

1 cup Flax Meal (Golden gives a lighter flavor and color)
1 cup THM Oat Fiber GF certified or Psyllium Husk* (for a grain free version)
1 cup Coconut Flour
1 cup Unflavored Gelatin (Unflavored Beef is Preferable)
2 TBS Baking Powder
½ tsp High Mineral Salt

Throw everything in a food processor or blender and wiz around for about 30 seconds. You can mix it in a bowl. I prefer the food processor because it blends better, and makes a more consistent fine texture. In my opinion it also makes a better texture in the final product.

* When using the Psyllium Husk I find that sometimes I need to add an extra tsp or two of liquid.



Here are a few ways to start using your baking mix.



Basic MIM

In a small bowl, or in a well greased mug mix your wet ingredients
1 egg emulsified (no egg whites showing) or 2 egg whites slightly beaten
2 TBS Water, or Light Coconut milk (you can use any allergen safe FP milk)
2 tsp melted coconut oil, red palm oil or butter
½ tsp vanilla
1 doonk THM Stevia, or 1 tsp Sweet Blend or 1 TBS Erythritol or Xylitol
{Sweetener Free option: Use 1 tsp of vanilla and add 1 tsp of coconut butter}

Add and mix well 3 level TBS of Easy Mix

For the Microwave place the mug in the microwave and cook for 2 min depending on your microwave.

For the Oven: Preheat to 400. Grease an Ramekin or Pyrex oven safe bowl very well. (It will stick if not well greased.) Scoop the batter in to Ramekin and spread out. With the gelatin and especially the if you are using the psyllium as well this will be a very thick batter. It is almost a lose dough like batter. Cook for 20 to 25 min.


Bread in a Mug (BIM)

In a small bowl or in a well greased mug mix your wet ingredients

1 egg emulsified (no egg whites showing), or two egg whites slightly beaten 
2 TBS Water, or Light Coconut milk (you can use any allergen safe FP milk)
2 tsp melted coconut oil, red palm oil or butter


Add and mix well 3 level TBS of Easy Mix

Follow MIM baking instructions.


Mini Doughnuts


In a small bowl mix your wet ingredients
2 eggs emulsified
1 TBS melted coconut oil or butter
1/4 cup water or unsweetened almond milk (any allergy safe FP milk will work)
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBS Xylitol or Erythritol, 2 tsp Sweet Blend, or 2 doonks THM stevia
{Sweetener Free option: Use 2 tsp of vanilla and add 2 tsp of coconut butter}

Add and mix well 6 level TBS (3 coffee scoops) of Easy Mix
Using a TBS fill each mini doughnut well of a pre-heated mini doughnut maker. Cook according to doughnut maker instruction.

Makes aprox 10 doughnuts
Serving size 5 doughnuts.

Kid Version
Sub 2 TBS honey or coconut sugar for the on plan sweetener. If using honey cut liquid back to 3 TBS.

I love this Brown Butter Glaze for the mini doughnuts. I powder THM Erythritol in a spice grinder (Also known as a coffee grinder with a big pink label on it that says Spice Grinder) for the glaze. For the kiddo's I'll sometimes do half erythritol and half coconut sugar.


Rosemary Garlic Flat Bread

In a small bowl mix your wet ingredients
1 egg emulsified
2 tsp water
2 tsp olive oil (one of the few times I cook with olive oil)

Add and mix well
3 level TBS of Easy mix
1/8 to ¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp crushed dried rosemary

Take a small pizza pan or pie plate (I use an 8 in pizza pan with the holes in the bottom) and cut a piece of parchment paper to fit. Grease both sides of the parchment paper, and line the pizza pan or pie plate with it. Place the flat bread dough in the center. With wet hands press down the dough and spread out evenly across the parchment paper. Make sure your hands are wet, because this dough is sticky. Bake in a pre heated 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 min. Remove the flat bread and parchment paper with a small cookie spatula. Remove the parchment from the back of the flat bread.

Pancakes

While mixing batter bring an griddle to an med temp. (I use a heavy cast iron)

In a small bowl mix wet ingredients.
1 egg emulsified (no egg whites showing)
3 TBS Water, or Light Coconut milk (you can use any allergen safe FP milk)
2 tsp melted coconut oil, red palm oil or butter
½ tsp vanilla
1 doonk THM Stevia, or 1 tsp Sweet Blend or 1 TBS Erythritol or Xylitol
{Sweetener Free option: Use 1 tsp of vanilla and add 1 tsp of coconut butter}

Add and mix well
3 level TBS of Easy Mix
¼ tsp cinnamon



Scoop on a slightly greased griddle already at temp. (Batter is somewhat thicker than most pancake batter and does not really ladle well.) Cook on first side until the sides and a small portion of the top is dry. Also there should be some air bubble that have escaped through the top. Using an egg turner flip the pancakes over. They will puff up while cooking. When good and puffy remove from the griddle to a plate. They will deflate some, but will still be somewhat fluffy.



Waffles
Start heating waffle iron


In a small bowl mix wet ingredients
2 eggs emulsified
2 tsp melted coconut oil, red palm oil or butter
½ tsp vanilla
1 doonk THM Stevia, or 1 tsp Sweet Blend or 1 TBS Erythritol or Xylitol
{Sweetener Free option: Use 1 tsp of vanilla and add 1 tsp of coconut butter}


Add and mix well
3 level TBS of Easy Mix
¼ tsp cinnamon

Pour into waffle maker and cook according to manufacture instructions.



NOTE: This mix does have some issues with sticking in some older waffle makers. My waffle maker is somewhat newish. It is about a year old with a good non-stick surface. 


Personal Note: I do not like my sweet breads as sweet as some. Adding extra sweetener to personalize your own sweet breads is always an option. 






26 comments:

  1. Thank you, Raye Ann, I will try this mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! Thanks so much from Drive-Thru Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the best bread mixes to date! trying the doughnuts this morning.. thank you Raye Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cup of unflavored gelatin...like a powder form? or 1 cup of getatin that has been made up? I am out of my element. Can someone give me brand names or grocery store location?
    Help, this sounds wonderful and I would love to t ry it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One cup of the powdered gelatin. You want the gelatin to be dry when it is added to the baking mix.
      You can order NOW Foods or Great Lakes on line at places like Amazon, iHerb, VitaCost, and Netrition. Even the Knox unflavored at the grocery store will work.

      Delete
    2. Raye Ann, does it need to be the Gelatin that hardens up and not the one that doesn't?

      Delete
  5. Hi, would love to try your mix. I have both the green tin and the orange tin in the Great Lakes gelatin...which one do I use in your mix...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the regular gelatin. I understand that either will work in baking. I just have not had the opportunity to try the green can yet.

      Delete
  6. This looks great! I have the Now brand but it does get thick in water and I was told that Great Lakes does not? I'm wondering if the consistencies will be different? Thanks girl! nanaslittlekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green can Great Lakes does not thicken in water, but the orange can of Great Lakes thickens in liquid just like the NOW Foods does. NOW foods is the one I use the most.

      Delete
  7. Would this work in place of "Bisquick" for sausage balls???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but use half the about that is called for of bisquick.

      Delete
  8. Do you think these recipes would work with egg substitutes (like flax egg or chia egg)? I'm thrilled to find a flour mix that meets my son's restrictions; however, he can't have eggs either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few I know have tried the muffin with the chia egg and have been happy with it.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. I made the MIM in silicon mini-muffin pans. They came out kinda spongy/eggy. Is that typical? When I made up the mix I used 1/2 oat fiber and 1/2 psyllium husk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first MIM. It was yummy! I topped it with some berry syrup and a touch of whipped cream. Yum! My girls liked them too, but the texture kinda threw off my oldest.

      Delete
  10. This has become my go-to Muffin mix. It's great! Also like your FP mix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this mix for MIM! Haven't tried it for others yet, will try for pancakes tomorrow.The one from the book was too flaxy for me, but this wasn't as flaxy and is more dense, which is great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was looking at the THM files for baking blend recipes and was wondering if your mix can be used in place of the THM brand. The website is out and I mixed up yours but wanted more recipes to choose from. Thanks...and thanks for doing all the hard work for us...so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, these look amazing! I also want to use in any THM Baking Blend recipes that are out there, would this work? The only think different in the ingredients seems to be gluconnamon, which I have, but would not know how much to add to your mix. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried the pancakes. It is the best THM pancake I have had! I used to eat a lot of the buckwheat pancakes before, and I missed them! These taste a lot like them. Made them with butter. I really like that it uses only 1 egg. All the other thm pancake recipes which are "s" use about 6-8 eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any replacement for the gelatin I could use?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does the flax meal make this a little slimy or is it the gelatin?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Raye Ann - Thanks so much for this recipe. I am just starting THM, can I use this mix along size S meals or only E? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete