Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Fried Doughnuts (S) & Easy Mix 2 ~ THM ~ Low Carb ~ Gluten Free ~ Almond Free ~ Dairy Free ~ Sweetener Free options


I spent 18 months coming up with the Easy Mix. Playing around and testing different ingredients. Finally getting a mix I was really happy with, and then coming up with ways to use it. The waffles were really a bit of a challenge. They kept exploding out of the waffle maker.
Then we come to Thanks Giving and I'm getting ready to start baking. I find I'm don't have enough of a key ingredient. I'm nearly out of Gelatin. My mind starts racing. Then I remember that xanthan gum or glucomannan can help give that texture I'm looking for in many GF baked goods. I don't want to miss out on the protein the Gelatin provides, but I need something. So I try it with the xanthan.
I really do love the texture of the pancakes (just use the same recipe as the original easy mix). I also used it to sub for the dry ingredients including the almond flour in Cranberry Upside Down Cake Individual version and full size version. It also worked great as a sub for all the dry ingredients in Jen Save's Almond Flour Cheese Biscuit Dippers. I sub out coconut yogurt for the cottage cheese, and goat cheese for the cheese.
Note: Sweeteners are considered wet ingredients.

Easy Mix 2

1 cup Golden Flax meal
1 cup Coconut flour
1/2 cup oat fiber
1/2 cup psyllium husk
2 TBS baking powder
1 TBS xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt

Note: You can do 1 cup or either psyllium husk or oat fiber instead of a half cup of each. However in this version I prefer using a half cup of each.

Put everything in a food processor or blender and wiz it for about 15 sec. You can mix in a bowl, but the food processor will blend it better and make a finer textured mix.

You can find most of these ingredients in most grocery stores now days. The psyllium husk you may have to go to a natural foods store to find it.

I had used the original Easy Mix mini doughnut recipe for the doughnut makers to make fried doughnuts. However they tended to be a bit fragile. With the Easy Mix 2 they come out much better. 


Doughnuts
In a fry pan add 1.5 inches of on plan oil (olive oil for Chaunkah). Turn the burner on to med high. (On my stove it goes from 1 to 10 and I set it on 8)
3 eggs emulsified
1/2 cup water
2 TBS coconut oil melted
2 tsp sweet blend
1 tsp vanilla
beat together and then mix in
3/4 cup easy mix 2
Drop a tiny bit of batter into the oil. If the oil is hot enough it will start bubbling around the dough, and the dough will float to the top. When oil is at temp use a 1 oz/2 TBS cookie scoop or a coffee scoop drop the dough into the oil. They will sink at first, then float to the top. As they cook they turn themselves over. When they have done that twice remove from the oil and place on a paper towel or dish cloth lined plate.
Made 14 doughnuts

For these I made a Cinnamon sugar coating
1 TBS cinnamon
1/4 cup THM Sweet Blend
Mix the cinnamon and sweet blend together.
Pour some of the cinnamon sugar into a small bowl or saucer. Take each doughnut and roll in the cinnamon. Be careful not to over coat the doughnut. There was lots of Cinnamon sugar left over. It could be use to make Cinnamon toast on an Easy Mix or Easy Mix 2 BIM.

I also love All Day I Dream About Food's Brown Butter Sauce on both these, and the mini doughnuts. 


3 comments:

  1. I used this for breading chicken tonight (just added a few spices - I think it was garlic powder, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, and onion powder) and the whole family loved it! I really love having this on hand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I had a question. Would you use this mix over the other easy mix for the recipes you have on the first easy mix page? I want to make a bread mix for sweet or savory breads and am not sure which one to make. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! :-) What do you think about subbing Chia seeds (ground) for the flax meal?

    ReplyDelete